We know that schools play an important role in supporting the health and wellbeing of children and young people. We recognise that we can help children lead a healthy lifestyle directly – to make healthy food choices at lunchtime, to be active at and on the way to school. More widely, we also can help children learn about their health, and develop their motivation and self respect to make healthy choices.
Because of the severe allergies of several pupils, we operate a no nut policy throughout the school. We would also that you are careful about any food brought into school by your children – either as snacks, in packed lunch boxes, as donations given for special occasions or for birthday celebrations.
Newham offers every child in a ‘maintained’ primary school in Newham a free school lunch every day. The offer of free school meals is a Mayor’s Promise. This means that you will not currently have to pay for lunch. Your child will enjoy a hot, nutritious and tasty midday meal every day of the week. We believe children who are healthy and well-fed are happier and perform better in the classroom.
School dinners consist of:
- A meat option (Halal meat only)
- A vegetarian option
- A fish option
- Two vegetables
- A carbohydrate choice (such as potato or rice)
- A dessert
- Yogurt, fruit, cheese and crackers
- A salad bar
Click on the link below to view our School dinner menu.
Free School meals
Even though Newham provides a free school lunch for all children, we urge any family who would qualify for free school meal status to apply anyway. This is because being eligible for free school meals is one indicator used by the government to allocate a ‘Pupil Premium’. You can raise £1,300 per child for Avenue by applying for free school meals.
You would be eligible if:
- You get Income Support;
- You get Income Based Jobseeker’s Allowance;
- You get Income Related Employment and Support Allowance;
- You are being supported under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999;
- You get Child Tax Credit (but not Working Tax Credit) and Revenue and Customs has assessed your income as less than £16,190;
- You get the Guarantee Credit element of Pension Credit.
You can apply for free school meals online by clicking on the link. Feel free to ask the office staff who will be happy to help you with your application.